[OSM-legal-talk] License clarification

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 07:19:24 UTC 2018

On Thursday 07 June 2018, Kathleen Lu wrote:
> The way I understand the use, the OSM data is used to identify areas
> that are to be discarded. Data in those areas are discarded. Thus,
> the OSM data is not kept either, and no OSM data in the final
> dataset. Thus, there is no derivative database containing OSM data.

If that was the case there would be no need for attribution either,
right?

The idea that you can produce a data set using both OSM and non-OSM data
in a meaningful way without there being either a collective or a
derivative database seems fundamentally at odds with the basic concept
of the ODbL.  The only way this could fly from my point of view would
be if you could argue the use of OSM data is insubstantial - for which
i see no basis in either law or the Substantial Guideline:

https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Community_Guidelines/Substantial_-_Guideline

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/