[OSM-legal-talk] ODI geospatial data re-users guide

Deborah Yates deborah.yates at theodi.org
Wed Oct 24 08:45:14 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I am writing to let you know about a project we are working on at the Open
Data Institute that draws on the existing work of the OSM community.

As part of our larger project
<https://theodi.org/article/how-can-we-support-the-publication-and-use-of-more-open-geospatial-data/>
to look at how we can support the publication and use of more open
geospatial data we are developing a geospatial data re-users guide. I've
included some more details below.

*Geospatial data re-users guide*

Our goal is to create guidance that will help geospatial data users
understand how to comply with licences associated with geospatial datasets.
We are focussing on Ordnance Survey and OpenStreetMap (ODbL) licences to
begin with.

The guide will include use cases ('I am an X, I want to do X') with
guidance beneath to help them understand what is allowed under what
circumstances. This isn't intended to be a legal document, more a useful
help to navigate the complexities of licensing to encourage reuse of the
data.

*Our approach*

   - We are using the OSM use cases
   <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Use_Cases#Using_map_images_created_from_OSM_Data>
published
   on the wiki as a starting point
   - We plan to create an open document to seek external input and sense
   check the types of use cases to cover.
   - We then intend to provide answers for each use case for each licence
   type (initially the ODbL, OS Data Exploration Licence and the Open
   Government Licence).
   - We also plan to work in the open to review/ add to the answers/
   explanations.
   - We'll be encouraging people to add to the open doc via twitter and
   through our networks, it would be great if you could support us in this
   also.

By working in this way we hope to make sure we produce something useful and
accurate.

Finally, our overall geospatial project is due to end by 30th Nov so we
will be developing this relatively quickly.

I hope this sounds like a worthwhile piece of work to you, if you have any
questions or would like any more information please don't hesitate to get
in touch.

Thanks,
Deborah

Deborah Yates, Technical Consultant at theODI.org <http://theodi.org>

+44 (0) 20 3598 9395 @deborah_yates

The ODI, 65 Clifton Street, London EC2A 4JE <http://www.theodi.org/contact>

*Latest*
ODI Strategy 2018 – 2022
<https://theodi.org/article/jeni-tennison-launches-the-odi-strategy/>
ODI Summit 2018 <https://theodi.org/event/odi-summit-2018/>

*Research & Development programme highlights   *

   - Open standards for data
   <https://theodi.org/article/announcing-the-open-standards-for-data-guidebook/>
–
   guidebook and podcasts
   - Revised Data Ethics Canvas
   <https://theodi.org/article/updating-the-data-ethics-canvas/> – tool
   - Four councils transforming services with data
   <https://theodi.org/article/new-service-delivery-models-case-studies-four-councils-using-open-data-for-service-redesign/>
–
   case studies
   - How artificial intelligence can support businesses
   <https://theodi.org/article/the-role-of-data-in-ai-business-models/> –
   report
   - How data portability can shape our future
   <https://theodi.org/article/data-portability-and-peer-to-peer-accommodation-four-scenarios-for-the-future-report/>
–
   report