[OSM-legal-talk] Licensing question

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Aug 6 00:07:03 UTC 2019

On Tuesday 06 August 2019, Kathleen Lu via legal-talk wrote:
> > If a user misuses a produced work, that is the fault of the user
> > (and
>
> perhaps a breach of the license by the user), not the work producer.
> I don't this is a slippery slope, but rather a principled decision.
> But the guideline is what it is, and I suppose you could lobby the
> Board to change it, but I personally would view such a change as
> unwise.

Well - to stay within the metaphor - if the downhill location is
considered desirable a slippery slope might be most welcome.

The ability to decide at will if share-alike applies in a certain use
case or not and avoiding responsibilities as much as possible are of
course generally highly desirable features for an interpretation of the
ODbL from the perspective of some creators of derived works.  For
guarding the social contract between mappers and data users that OSM is
built on and depends on however the situation looks very different.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/