[OSM-legal-talk] legal-talk Digest, Vol 144, Issue 7

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 09:10:41 UTC 2019

> > Am I right to assume that this policy, in particular the definition of
> "open data" at No 6, is sufficiently clear so as to use the data without
> further permission?
>
>  No, it's not. It is a 'policy', not a license. The site says " City of
Houston GIS(COHGIS) data is prepared and made available for general
reference purposes only", and you (OSM) would be re-publishing and
redistributing. Sometimes, GIS-ish data is supplied to cities by vendors
with specific terms of use and redistribution, and those vendors are
allowed to sell the data to anyone else ( cost reduction strategy ).

>From two Open Data Portals:

*City of Seattle* has a notice in the dataset metadata:Terms of Use -*
Access constraints: *GISUSER_RO Account Access, Public access.*Use
constraints: *Reproduction/distribution of GIS data for commercial purposes
is prohibited, unless expressly authorized through a separate licensing
agreement with The City of Seattle. Public use.
*King County*: King County data are made available with the understanding
that they shall be used exclusively by the obtainer or his/her authorized
agents. Digital products may not be reproduced or redistributed in any form
or by any means without the express written authorization of King County.
( both of these jurisdictions readily granted OSM's request, BTW )

Always ask.