[OSM-legal-talk] use OSM data to select proprietary data

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Dec 12 19:31:25 UTC 2019

Yes, if a Derivative Database was created in the first place, and that
is not clear at all, see:

/“Derivative Database” – Means a database based upon the Database, and//
//includes any translation, adaptation, arrangement, modification, or any//
//other alteration of the Database or of a Substantial part of the//
//Contents. This includes, but is not limited to, Extracting or//
//Re-utilising the whole or a Substantial part of the Contents in a new//
//Database./

Essentially the question is if the envelopes of the extracted points are
a substantial extract of our data (because they represent the residual
information/data from OSM), while it is obviously possible to construct
cases were this would be the case, in the typical relatively sparse POI
scenario I don't quite see that.

I don't particularly like engaging in these discussion because they tend
to end up being arguments about how many angels can stand on a pin and
are not answerable outside of the detailed specifics of the actual use
case (which are typically not available).

Simon