[OSM-legal-talk] use OSM data to select proprietary data

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Thu Dec 12 22:40:18 UTC 2019

No, ODbL does not apply to any database that does not include OSM data.
There are two reasons.

First, this example is analogous to the FAQ here:
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Licence_and_Legal_FAQ#Can_I_use_OSM_data_and_OpenStreetMap-derived_maps_to_verify_my_own_data_without_triggering_share-alike.3F
Can I use OSM data and OpenStreetMap-derived maps to verify my own data
without triggering share-alike?

Yes, provided that you are only comparing and do not copy any OpenStreetMap
data. If you make any changes to your data after making the comparison, you
should be able to reasonably demonstrate that any such change was made
either from your own physical observation or comes from a non-OpenStreetMap
source accessed directly by you. I.e you can compare but not take!

   - Example 1: You notice that a street is called one name on your map and
   another in OpenStreetMap. You should visit the street and check the name,
   then you are free to put that name in your data as it is your own
   observation.

   - Example 2: You notice that a boundary is different in your data and
   OpenStreetMap. You should check back to original authoritative sources and
   make any correction required.

When someone does example #1 above, they compare OSM data and nonOSM data
and make a list of streets to check in the real world. Neither the nonOSM
data nor the list of streets needs to be licensed under ODbL. You may
*compare* freely.
If I understand your usecase correctly, Matthais, you are essentially
checking your list against OSM boundaries. If something is both on your
list and within the OSM boundary, then you say 'yes, this goes on the
secondary list.' Then you want to publish your secondary list. There is no
OSM data in the secondary list so it is not a Derivative Database.

Second, see the Geocoding Guidelines, which Martin also pointed out -
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Community_Guidelines/Geocoding_-_Guideline#The_Guideline
Your example is akin to using OSM polygons for certain areas to geocode.
You already have the lat/long for your points (houses and flats), so what
you are getting from OSM is equivalent to the name of the area you are
filtering against (e.g., all these points are in neighborhood X).
The Geocoding Guidelines specifically state "if only names are provided in
Geocoding Results from OSM -- in particular, latitude/longitude information
from OSM is not included in the Geocoding Results -- *a collection of such
results is not a substantial extract*."
Thus, no ODbL obligations attach.

-Kathleen