[OSM-legal-talk] use OSM data to select proprietary data

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 00:13:19 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 20. Dec 2019, at 00:16, Kathleen Lu via legal-talk <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> This is not what the Substantial Guideline says. It says that fewer than 100 features is "not Substantial". It also gives as an example "More that 100 Features only if the extraction is non-systematic and clearly based on your own qualitative criteria for example an extract of all the the locations of restaurants you have visited for a personal map to share with friends or use the locations of a selection of historic buildings as an adjunct in a book you are writing, we would regard that as non Substantial."

If I recall correctly there is no definition what a feature is. Nobody has yet commented how they would interpret this for a border: is it about the border way or about the individual border points from which the border is made of?

100 features may be a reasonable limit for point features, but for complex ways and relations, already very few (maybe even a single one) may be substantial?

Kathleen, I would be interested in your thoughts what a feature is in the context of ways.

Cheers Martin