[OSM-legal-talk] Copy information from official business website (WAS: Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data)

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Thu Jul 11 18:23:08 UTC 2019

I understand the inclination to sarcasm, but your second statement is
simply not a logical one. A state's records of it's plans to build and
maintain roads aren't a map, and a typical map has many things on it other
than just roads. The plans by themselves may not be a protected database
under EU law, but governments discuss quite publicly the costs and efforts
of their GIS departments. "Substantial investment" may not be a black and
white standard, but it is a meaningful one. I hypothesize that Tesco would
have difficulty proving "a substantial investment in either the obtaining,
verification or presentation of the contents." (Note that investment in
creating/setting the hours does not count.)
Best,
Kathleen