[OSM-legal-talk] Copy information from official business website (WAS: Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jul 12 09:37:51 UTC 2019

9 Jul 2019, 09:03 by muramototomoya at gmail.com:
> Assume that TESCO has published the shop data under the CC BY license. Then can I use that data for OSM?
> I think that data is not available because CC BY license is incompatible with ODbL as OSMF has stated.
> https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/ <https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/>

CC-BY is not making data available.

But data not covered by copyright is not
becoming copyrightable by releasing
or under a license.

The same applies to copyright-like restrictions applied to databasesĀ

For example I may draw a red circle
and publish it under CC BY-NC.

But drawing of a red circle is not copyrightable,
as it is to simple to qualify for protection
and lacks originality.

So anyone may take this image and use it for any purposes,
 including commercial purposes forbidden by CC BY-NC.

> However, current data published by TESCO under the "misleading" terms is considered as available.

Assuming that this part of data is notĀ
eligible for
copyright and copyright-like restrictions then
it can not be restricted by using copyright and copyright-like rules.
> After this discussion I would like to make an OSM wiki page as an agreement by the OSM global community.
> wiki/Available_Data is fine for it?

It would be a great idea to document summary of this.

Note that there is already "Copyright" page.

Adding it there or linking new page would be likely a good idea.
In case of doing this (what would be great), please link it
here - some people may be able to name further
improvements.