[OSM-legal-talk] ZIP codes from OSM in non-compatible licensed dataset

Lars-Daniel Weber Lars-Daniel.Weber at gmx.de
Sun Oct 6 13:09:10 UTC 2019

Dear users,

I'm often intersecting geodata with a license, which is in a non-ODbL-compatible license, with OSM data to enrich this data. Normally, I'm doing this for internal (private) use only, but I want to publish such a dataset now.

For example, I'm getting postal ZIP codes from OSM and add these to other POI data. I'm keeping the original ZIP codes from the source and the ZIP codes from OSM and I'm not completing the ZIP codes by each other - they don't interact, I'm not removing duplicates and they're in two different columns. Of course, ZIP codes don't seem to be a substantial part, but the data is related by each other, since I've intersected (joined) both datasets.

Is the joined result a "Collective Database" or a "Produced Work", since it only contains a non-substantial part (only one string column) from OSM?

Sincerely yours,
Lars-Daniel