[OSM-legal-talk] map drawn based on OSM tiles

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Oct 7 14:27:29 UTC 2019

Am 07.10.2019 um 01:23 schrieb Lars-Daniel Weber:
> I thought, whenever you re-digitize OSM data from a printed map, it would get ODbL again. According to current ruling by European Court of Justice, a printed map is just a database (it has been judged for a German topographical map in small scale).
>
> So if I had freely drawn the borders based on extract of OSM (with the paper on the desk), it would fall under ODbL?

I'm not ruling out the first interpretation either and potentially both
licenses would have to apply in full (which isn't possible without
conflict).

But if the shape files are simply used for display purposes as a
tendency I would find that they are still being used as a produced work
as per
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Community_Guidelines/Produced_Work_-_Guideline
Which from the ODbL pov requires attribution and a pointer back to the
data source, which you can provide without being in conflict with CC
BY-SA terms that you would have to adhere to.