[OSM-legal-talk] ZIP codes from OSM in non-compatible licensed dataset

Lars-Daniel Weber Lars-Daniel.Weber at gmx.de
Tue Oct 8 13:05:37 UTC 2019

From: "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> As I read the collective db guideline, you cannot have both, the ZIP
> codes from your proprietary database and those from OpenStreetMap, in
> the same database matched to the same objects. It says “add or replace”
> a property (we do agree the ZIP codes are a property and not a primary
> feature?). If you keep both ZIP codes in your db, it implies you need
> both columns, which implies you are somehow mixing them at some point
> (or you could drop the proprietary ZIP codes, as you won’t need them)

Wow, that's way more strict than all proprietary license I know of. All those details should be make much more prominent to users. I know users mixing data like this all the time, by attributing the OSM column for internal and external use. They don't know that they're doing an illegal thing :-(

I think, I'll not use OSM data for this dataset, even if it's more complete than the proprietary one.