[OSM-legal-talk] ZIP codes from OSM in non-compatible licensed dataset

Tom Hummel tom at bluespice.org
Thu Oct 10 20:30:22 UTC 2019

> Extracting than 100 elements (non repeatable) from the databse accounts
> for substantial.

While someone might easily disagree, I would, however, agree with that.
By taking a little piece from a huge database, one cannot deny a
database to be a substantial investment as a whole. That way you can
cherry pick your way to huge chunks of said database piece by piece,
argueing nobody ever took any piece which constituted a substantial
investment.

That argument about the vast number of postal codes in comparison
escapes me.

> Costs has nothing to do with the license.

I also agree. Copyright law does come into effect much earlier than
database protection.

Cheers

Tom