[OSM-legal-talk] Licensability of an employee's work

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Oct 19 09:50:13 UTC 2019

If it was outside of the UK it is very unlikely that the edits by the
employee would be considered anything protectable outside of them adding
a substantial extract of data from a database that is protected by EU
database regulation.

In the UK however I suppose there is a chance of the edits, assuming
they are not totally trivial, being a copyrightable work, which would
potentially require us to remove them if in the end they were not
available on terms that are compatible with the ODbL. If they don't
amount to that I don't see any recourse of the employer wrt the data
being in OSM.

That said, -don't use OSM behind the back of the employer-, get upfront
permission to use OSM.

Simon