[OSM-legal-talk] Brexit & EU database rights

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Dec 13 20:50:16 UTC 2020

Am 13.12.2020 um 20:12 schrieb Tom Hummel via legal-talk:
> Hi all,
>
> Am Sonntag, 13. Dezember 2020, 15:58:48 CET schrieb Simon Poole:
>> The relevant bit of the directive is in article 11. As you can see the
>> rights are dependent on being domiciled in the EU, not on the physical
>> location of the "database". I would need to check up on the UK
> Do the legal contributors have formed an opinion towards this, already?
>
> Seeing the Foundation being situated in the UK, and the absence of any agreement acc. to art. 11 III, it looks like the foundation is loosing its entitlement acc. to art. 11 II of the directive.

This was the subject of the original message in this thread. The
situation post December 31st 2020 is such that protection for sui
generis databases will remain for database published before that date in
the UK till the protection term runs out. In the case of OSM when the 15
years start is naturally a bit fuzzy, but at least the reworking of the
database in 2012 for the licence change was clearly a substantial change
that required a significant investment by the OSMF, so it is reasonable
to assume that protection will remain at least till September 2026 (IMHO
there are more than enough arguments for December 2034, but I suspect
that will be moot by 26).

Simon