[OSM-legal-talk] A questionable data source usage in Haiti in 2010

mappinglander mappinglander at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 14:19:51 UTC 2021

Hello,
There has recently been a discussion in OSM Discord about source=Google tags
<https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/source=Google%2C 2010-01-21> in
Haiti. The usage seems to have documented at wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Haiti/Imagery_and_data_sources/Old#Google_Imagery>,
but seems like there isn't any explicit clauses about allowing to OSM on
the linked mailinglist posts, and the Google page says "Use restricted to
non-commercial use in or related to Haitian relief efforts." Also, as that
was before the CC BY-SA and ODbL switch in 2012, I and other users have
expressed some doubts about whether we are still having permission to use
that source on OSM. I personally haven't contacted Mikel yet, or the other
people involved in the discussion and approved the usage on OSM.