[OSM-legal-talk] OSM derivative Dataset ODbL Question

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Mon Nov 29 16:24:08 UTC 2021

On Monday 29 November 2021, J M wrote:
> Hello!
> This is new to me but thought this was the best place to ask. Last
> night I found a gis dataset that has osm attributed data in it, no
> mention of attribution or a share alike database available for
> download. Can anyone here assist me with this?
>
> The dataset is here:
> https://resources.maxar.com/human-landscape/human-landscape-iran

It seems what you are talking about is that this data set made available
for download:

https://maxar-marketing.s3.amazonaws.com/product-samples/Iran_DataSample_December2020_%282.0%29.zip

which seems to be a sample for a larger data set, appears to be -
without doubt (easiest to determine based on the road geometries) - a
derivative of OpenStreetMap data.  This is acknowledged in the data
itself to some extent with a "SOURCE=OpenStreetMap" attribute but not
anywhere else.

The sample data is claimed to be made available under

https://www.maxar.com/legal/evaluation-license

which quite evidently is not ODbL compatible.

--
Christoph Hormann
https://www.imagico.de/