[OSM-legal-talk] Tenths of notes with street names

Marco Rossi mar7.lun2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 20:13:13 UTC 2021

Hello. The talk-it thread where this question stems from is
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-it/2021-September/072947.html

Tenths of anonymous notes with street names appeared in a night,
covering two whole Italian cities in the same geographical area.

Caserta: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/41.0799/14.3356&layers=N
Trentola-Ducenta: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/40.9772/14.1766&layers=N

Someone surveyed the whole city with a torch and a phone at 01:00 AM,
or this is a "de facto import", from Google Maps or other Italian
copyrighted online map (Tuttocittà, etc).

I am not disputing factual accuracy, and I assume that a survey would
almost always result in the same name.

1. Without surveying, can these notes be considered legally safe for
upload into the database?

2. Any ideas on how to proceed? DWG mass-delete, trust the notes straight away?

Thanks