[OSM-legal-talk] Tenths of notes with street names

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 20:47:38 UTC 2021

On 12/09/2021 21:13, Marco Rossi wrote:
> 1. Without surveying, can these notes be considered legally safe for
> upload into the database?

Unrelated to any legal issue, I'd never upload the results of a note
straight into OSM - for a couple of reasons:

1) There are plenty of examples where a note might suggest one sort of
object, but a survey would suggest another.  As an OSM mapper I'm going
to be more familiar with OSM conventions than an anonymous note-adder.

2) People have been known to "try it on" with notes, add invalid ones,
and claim afterwards "look how easy it is to add invalid data to OSM!".

> 2. Any ideas on how to proceed? DWG mass-delete, trust the notes straight away?

I'd start by commenting on one or more of the notes, thanking the
anonymous user for their contribution and suggesting that they actually
consider editing the OSM Database directly.  The sign-up process will
tell them that they can't copy from Google Maps; you can also say that
in a note comment as well if you want - but in the first instance I'd
concentrate on trying to get them to sign up to OSM to update their town
based on survey.

If it's clear that the information is from a non-compatible source then
the DWG can hide notes so that they immediately disappear; if that isn't
the case but they don't look useful anyone can resolve them - they'll
turn green and then disappear from the map in a few days.

Best Regards,

Andy (from the DWG)