[Local-chapters] Today's meeting

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:44:00 BST 2009

I would have liked to have attended but I was sent the email about the
time late in the day and I didn't read it till the meeting was over,
and nothing was posted well ahead of time to this list. Can future
meetings be properly scheduled at least a week an advanced and
announced on this list please.

That said, I understand the desire to gain extra funding by charging
chapters memberships, I dislike this idea and is possibly not legal if
the Australian Chapter gets DGR status with the Australian Tax Office.
I'm not a lawyer/accountant but there is deffinitely clauses in the
Australian tax laws how funds can be used.

If the chapters are organisationally/functionally seperated I don't
think it's fair to imposed this kind of backdoor funding if people
only want to be a member of the local chapter.

I think it's a good idea to encourage membership of OSM-F but I don't
think this sort of thing should be mandatory it may make some people
reluctant about joining a local chapter, also this makes chapters seem
like they're local collection agencies for OSM-F.