[Local-chapters] giving the local chapter a name and logo

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 15:49:29 BST 2009

As I remember, the OSM-F own a trademark on the OSM logo, so they can
restrict its use.  They do not own any trademark on the name
"OpenStreetMap", so you can do as you please with the name.  Its generally
been considered to be "polite" for someone using the name "OpenStreetMap" to
let the OSM-Foundation know about their intentions.
--
Nick

2009/9/8 Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>

> El Martes, 8 de Septiembre de 2009, ivom escribió:
> > Is it legally ok for the OSMF to use the "OpenStreetMap" word in the name
> > of the Chapter? I was thinking like: OpenStreetMap Belgium. And what
> about
> > reusing the logo that is currently published on the wiki.
>
> The spanish chapter is called "Asociación OpenStreetMap España". That
> should
> answer your question :-)
>
> > By extension: Do I need a formal written agreement of the OSMF to reuse
> > the name OpenStreetMap?
>
> The federation agreement covers that. See
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters#Benefits_to_Local_Chapters
>

> --

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b