[Local-chapters] SOTM Local Chapters meeting and what's next

Rob Nickerson rob at osmuk.org
Tue Sep 12 23:02:15 UTC 2017

Hi Martijn, all,

Thanks for this and thanks for adding us to the mailing list.

For those less familiar with mailing lists, please note:

 	* To send to all recipients simply email to
Local-chapters at openstreetmap.org
 	* All emails are public and can be viewed in the online archive:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/local-chapters/

On to me and the UK community: I am a founding member of OpenStretMap
United Kingdom, the legal company that hopes to grow the OSM project in
the UK. Note this is different from OpenStreetMap Foundation (OSMF)
which is also a company registered in the UK. The OSMF represents the
global project, whereas the mandate of OSMUK is the UK only.

We are relatively new but keen to play a large role. I can share our
experiences to date if this is useful. Namely:

 	* Setting the company up and why we chose the legal structure we have.
 	* Details of our website (osmuk.org), which is a Wordpress site hosted
on WebFaction.
 	* Details of how we do membership sign up (we use CiviCRM, the same
tool that OSMF uses).
 	* Our facilitated kick-off meeting that helped us set direction.

Our challenges relate to growing the community (hard now that the map
"looks complete") and expanding the use of OSM data.

In addition to OSM UK, I have experience organising State of the Map
(2013, 2016 and 2017). My skill-set is project management and "soft
skills" (I am non-technical, not a software developer).

Looking forward to hearing your challenges and thoughts on how we can
work together. I think if it goes well there is an option to formalise
as a OSMF Working Group at which point we can put a case forward for a
budget (or greater control over any upcoming projects that impact us).

Best regards,
Rob
osm:RobJN