[Mailman] Mailing list spam

rhn opstmaac.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Fri Mar 25 08:02:45 UTC 2016

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 00:06:18 +0000
Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 24/03/16 20:27, rhn wrote:
>
> > To the list admins,
>
> You should take these issues up with the owner of the talk-pl list in
> the first instance.
>
> Most of our lists are set to not allow posting by users who are not
> subscribed to the lists without approval by a moderator, so if talk-pl
> is not configured that way then the first thing should be for the owner
> to change that.
>
> Tom

This doesn't strike me as an optimal solution. While I don't know how that filter works (does it send back a message asking to confirm the intention of sending to the list?), a lot of legitimate mail comes from people who post once and are not subscribed, so filtering by subscription doesn't really set apart spam and not spam. That's why I suggested something like SPF at the server level, and I don't know who manages that.

If the admins of talk-pl can do something that does filter out spam right now, that would be appreciated.

Cheers,
rhn