[Mailman] Geocoding Conversation

Merk, Christine (CTR) christine.merk at associates.fema.dhs.gov
Wed Jul 11 15:46:02 UTC 2018

Sir/Ma'am,

On behalf of the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration's (FIMA) Actuarial and Catastrophic Data Modeling Branch's program office, I would love to schedule a telephone conversation within the next week to support FIMA's market research efforts pertaining to geocoding services.

The Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration's (FIMA) National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) is currently pursuing Risk Rating Redesign, a cross-FIMA initiative established to transform the policyholder experience leveraging industry best practices and provide value by delivering rates that are fair, clear, and use current technology and data, including commercial catastrophe models, NFIP data, replacement cost data, intuitive rating variables, and easily collected data.

In order to derive credible location-level rates, the NFIP needs to be able to accurately geocode a structure's location given an address and allow for an agent or policyholder to validate said location (e.g., by being able to drop a pin to confirm the specific location of the structure to rate/insure). Additionally, the NFIP needs to be able to accurately estimate a given structure's ground and structural elevation (focusing on first floor height but also considering lower floors such as basements). Importantly, the NFIP requires these capacities for structures both inside and outside of the Special Flood Hazard Area and by January 2019.

What services or datasets could you provide that could assist in achieving these goals?

This conversation is for market research purposes only and therefore your participation is completely optional.  If you are interested, please let me know your availability over the next few days so I can schedule a telecom.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Christine Merk
Acquisition Consultant