[Mapcss] [Proposal] Use "area" pseudo-object rather than way:closed construct; generally, be less OSM-centric

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Tue Jul 20 11:39:34 BST 2010

> I tend to think that the MapCSS syntax is too much OSM oriented in the
> current state.
> For future version of the specs, I would propose to use more "standard"
> object selectors rather than the OSM ones, i.e.:
>
> node -> point
> way -> linestring
> (area -> polygon)
> (relation[type=multipolygon] -> multipolygon)
> relation -> (no equivalent)
> The general reasoning is that MapCSS could be used to generate maps whatever
> the source dataset, so the syntax should be as generic as possible.

I think we should add them as aliases.

node -> point
way -> linestring, multilinestring, polygon, multipolygon.

Reason is that you can't decide on OSM data whether a thing is a line
or poly without looking on tags. For rendering, you usually want to
style landuse=grass closed, non-closed and multipolygonish the same,
don't you?

> For 0.2, I'd suggest already adding an "area" pseudo-object rather than the
> very OSM-esque way:closed.

that might make sense.

--
Komяpa aka Darafei Praliaskouski