[Mapcss] [Proposal] Use "area" pseudo-object rather than way:closed construct; generally, be less OSM-centric

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Tue Jul 20 15:09:13 BST 2010

> As it stands, however, there's a good reason to have 'way :area' - you only
> have to write each selector once, rather than doubling it up for the
> roundabout (closed highway) case. So currently you can write:
>     way[highway=primary] { color: red; }
>
> whereas if MapCSS had an area type but OSM didn't, you'd have to write:
>     way[highway=primary], area[highway=primary] { color: red; }
>
> Thinking aloud...

Isn't that already the case with relations? Nowadays, shouldn't we code
"way[highway=primary], relation[highway=primary] { color: red; }", for cases
where the tagging is done at the relation level?

Couldn't we assume all objects are children of the canvas so coding
"canvas[highway=primary]" would apply to all objects by inheritance, the CSS
way?

This would also adress the "For rendering, you usually want to style
landuse=grass closed, non-closed and multipolygonish the same" issue...

- Chris -