[Mapcss] another css-for-maps implementation

David Winslow cdwinslow at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 04:12:15 BST 2010

hello everyone!

My name is David Winslow and I have also been working on styling maps using
CSS, in the context of GeoServer (
http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/css/index.html).  Until
recently I've been unaware of the MapCSS project but I would be interested
in taking steps to make my CSS project more compatible with MapCSS
stylesheets (and possibly contribute some ideas to the MapCSS
specification.)

>From a brief perusal of the documentation on the OSM wiki, I see the
following major differences between my take on CSS-for-maps and MapCSS:

   - square brackets for expressions vs. eval('')
   - repeated properties (inspired by CSS3; see
   http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-background/#layering) vs. repeated property
   lists.
   - the concept of "well-known marks" (cribbed from GeoServer's native
   styling language, SLD, see
   http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/styling/sld-cookbook/points.html#simple-point),
   basically built-in simple geometries which have their own styling attributes

Selectors and property names are not 1:1 either, but I haven't put together
an exhaustive comparison.  If any of these concepts sound interesting for
inclusion in MapCSS I'd be happy to elaborate.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

--
David Winslow