[Mapcss] Docs: a special wiki for them

Paul Hartmann phaaurlt at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 1 20:53:39 BST 2011

On 08/01/2011 09:11 PM, Komяpa wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm now trying to stabilize what we have about MapCSS.
>
> It's nice that we have lots of renderers and processors; it's not nice
> that we don't have one that fullfills all the MapCSS. JSOM and Kothic
> are nearest to that, but both will certainly omit some parts.
>
> Due to this, I propose to split the whole spec into a number of
> (numbered and revisioned) blocks that will be separate enough to be
> fullfilled by any platform.
>
> Mapnik will not use "interactivity" part of MapCSS, editors won't use
> generalization (they must always show everything), some other
> application (for now komap/mapnik at least) won't be able to fullfill
> cascading, JOSM/Kothic doesn't have "set" thing and live well without
> it, Kothic JS doesn't parse MapCSS itself but relies on some
> stylesheet preparation, lots of people don't deal with relations...
>
> List can be endless. What I want is a way for a developer to state "I
> support MapCSS in this, this, this and that thing".
>
> I've set up a wiki on http://wiki.mapcss.ru/wiki/ and now trying to
> move spec there and split it. Feel free to join, add a page about your
> application, extend and nicify docs in any other way.
>
> Domain mapcss.org was taken already, hope the owner will set up CNAME
> for wiki.mapcss.org to wiki.mapcss.ru or contact me in any other way.

Great!

What I like to do is to list differences in the implementations and
document them in detail. The goal is reconciliation, so we can avoid
unnecessary incompatibilities.

(E.g. casing-width which is different in JOSM and Halcyon at the moment.)

I'm not sure, wiki.mapcss.ru is a good domain for "the mapcss project".
It gives the false impression that it is Russia-centric whereas it
involves people from all over the world. For the time being, I can live
with the OSM wiki just fine.

When the individual features are clearly specified, we can package them,
similar to svg-basic and svg-tiny.

Paul