[Mapcss] Proposal: Drop css's ugly colour specifications

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 11:53:46 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I propose that all colour specifications be replaced with the modern specifiers.
>
> I also have a second proposal related to this.  CSS typically uses the range 0 to 255 even in these specifiers.  I'd like to propose that we use the cleaner 0.0 to 1.0 range.  This has the advantage of not exposing an implementation detail, though I acknowledge there's a disadvantage in deviating from what css does here.

To play devil's advocate, for those of us that do any web development,
the #abcdef format is how we think of colours. I have a feel for what
#ffaaaa is going to look like. rgb(1.0,0.6,0.6) is a bit weird,
unfamiliar...and frankly, not any more aesthetically appealing to my
eye.

So I think accepting rgb(255,110,110) as an equally-accepted
alternative format is fine, but I don't see a compelling reason for
introducing a new colour specifier and breaking the link with CSS
here. (A compelling reason might be if it made MapCSS more
approachable to the cartographic community, for example...)

Steve