[Mapcss] Proposal: Drop css's ugly colour specifications

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Feb 7 15:17:55 GMT 2011

Am 07.02.2011 14:41, schrieb Thomas Davie:
> Given this, what do you think to the idea of dropping the opacity
> property and rolling it into the colour?  If we keep the hex rgb
> format, this can be incorporated in the same way as it's being done in
> css3 – support #rrggbbaa and #rgba.
Why again do you want to drop the opacity?
I think, it's not a bad idea to be able to control it separately.

If you see color:rgba(r,g,b,a); as a shorthand property of
color:rgb(r,g,b); opacity:a; as shorthand properties are common in CSS
it's additional useful as it's possible to change the opacity level with
changing one property independently (opacity).

I can specify something like:

element1
{
  color:rgba(1,0,0,0);
}

element2
{
  opacity: 0.5;
}

where element 2 inherits from element1.

Classical CSS is implemented in a different way, as a semi transparent
color produces semi transparent background while opacity at an element
produces the whole element as semi transparent (including text etc.).

Perhaps that's an issue to think about further here; but as MapCSS
mainly deals with graphics and not text, I'm not sure if I have enough
knowledge about the current MapCSS idea here.

regards
Peter