[Mapcss] Proposal: Drop css's ugly colour specifications

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Mon Feb 7 17:18:57 GMT 2011

Hi,

2011/2/7 Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com>:

> This all seems to be rather a cludge around a simple dilema – sometimes you want to multiply colours, sometimes you want to replace colours.
>
> Your opacity replacement there is really a case of "multiply the opacity of the colour by 0.2", and can be generalised to "multiply the colour by rgba(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0.2)"
>
> Is what's really needed a colour-multiply: property instead of opacity (but as well as a colour:) property?

Looks for me as useless hackish thing - there are lot of other better
things to do.

Now MapCSS is rather easy to understand for non-programmers. HTML/CSS
is studied at schools, so people know what id #rrggbb.

Thousands of programs support #rrggbb notation, and lots of people
(including me) can rather easily imagine color by that notation. If
you'll leave me only something like rgb(0.22, 0.12e1, 1.2), my head
will blow up reading/writing that, and I'll _have_ to introduce
#rrggbb notation back in some way.

The color-multiply looks like operation, and, may be, should be done
inside eval(). But first I'd like to see real-world examples of such
stylesheets :)

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team