[Mapcss] Interaction of exit; and layer specifiers

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 22:57:17 BST 2012

Hi Guys,

I'm just implementing exit; in OpenStreetPad to allow stylesheet authors to quickly short circuit out boring objects...  What I'm not completely clear on is exactly what the interaction between exit; and layer specifiers.  What would people expect to be the style generated for each layer (given a way tagged highway=motorway) here?

way[highway=motorway] :: A
{
  width: 4pt;
  z-index: 0;
  color: red;
  exit;
}

way[highway=motorway]
{
  width: 2pt;
  z-index: 2;
  color: green;
}

way[highway=motorway] :: A
{
  color: blue;
}

Should the exit; short circuit *all* style generation, or only generation for layer A?  Should it not have any effect in a declaration for a layer?  The sane styles I could see generated would be:
1) base layer: no style.  layer A: red, 4pt, z-index 0.
2) base layer: green, 2pt, z-index 2.  layer A: red, 4pt, z-index 0.
3) base layer: green, 2pt, z-index 2.  layer A: blue, 4pt, z-index 0.

Which would you guys say is correct?

Bob