[Mapcss] MapCSS 0.2 finalization

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Tue May 1 10:14:55 BST 2012

Hi all,

A couple of questions to discuss:

0) schedule.

Will it be fine for developers to implement some obvious changes in
their engines till 15th of May, marking respective rows in the table,
so we'll have less differences before we start discussing other stuff?
Two weekends during that period :3

so, proposed schedule:

may 1-15: trying to fill more details about your renderer into that
table, showing weaknesses of others and own strenghts, and trying to
implement the most of things the others do to be compatible.
may 15-21: re-partitioning of the table into a "green" release-ready
part and the "proposed" part for future discussion.
may 20-30: writing text-form spec from green part of table.

Any objections?

1) meta{}.

That thing was used as josm's standard way to store info about
stylesheet, like its name and author.

I think it's worth it - even if most will just ignore its content, it
can be used to store mapcss revision number and be used by something
like libmagic to guess that it's mapcss file at all.

2) testing stylesheet.

For now some developers use openstreetmap.by's komap-in-mind
stylesheet, http://kothic.googlecode.com/hg/src/styles/osmosnimki-maps.mapcss

It has advantages of being long (so you can check performance),
beautifully-rendered (if done right), and has something like reference
rendering, http://openstreetmap.by itself.

Obvious problems are that it was written being strongly coupled with
komap - it has a lot of -x-properties in it and even some hardcoded
hacks to be nice. Also, some problems of mapnik, like inability to
cascade rules, sneaked into it too.

I think we need some shorter sheet that will just utilize all the
stuff that will go to the standard. Maybe we should revisit that after
15th of May, if everyone agrees.

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/