[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Wed Mar 6 09:32:03 UTC 2013

Am 06.03.2013 10:06, schrieb Tom Davie:
> On 6 Mar 2013, at 08:49, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here we have a problem. Lets look at my situation: I'm writing a style
>> for JOSM. Actually it is my second style after some playing around
>> with another minimalistic one, so I don't have much idea of the
>> situation. I encounter some problems while implementing and so I ask
>> on the josm-dev if something was possible or not. Shortly after that
>> some new functions are implemented in JOSM.
>>
>> So who's the "bad guy" now? Is it me, because I shouldn't ask on
>> josm-dev but on this mailing list? I had no clue about this mailing
>> list. Is it the josm developer, because he implemented something
>> without discussing it on this mailing list? He just provided some
>> valuable features.
>>
>> And while we try to figure out who's to "blame" we have a short look
>> at the number of participants on this discussion. It's me and you.
>> Maybe that's the real problem - lack of interest. A short look at the
>> history of http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapCSS/0.2 and its talk
>> page seems to confirm this.
> Hopefully that should indicate that I have been involved in the discussion too.  Personally, I'm of the opinion that MapCSS is in *very* early stages of development, and we're still discovering all the ways in which current MapCSS can't style things we want to style.  Because of that, I think it's entirely reasonable for individual implementers to experiment with ways of supporting styling these features.
Probably here you/we (I prefer you here as I'm following the mapcss
mailinglist and am interested in the topic, but not implementing
anything like that currently) should learn from the CSS folks here; not
in the way how mapcss should work and to do the same design decisions,
but in the way how css evolves currently.

Every few weeks or months browser vendors create new css features and
implement these in their browsers, but usually they do this prefixed by
a vendor-specific prefix at first: -moz-... -webkit-...-properties of
CSS come to mind.

I fear, this model of development is not possible for the selector
stuff, but for the rendering rules and function names we/you should
probably adapt it.

regards
Peter