[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:35:42 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I understand. Usually there's a reason for such a situation. But as
> I'm not involved (and never was) in MapCSS development I can't name
> that reason.

Speaking as an observer, I thought I'd point out two elephants in the
room: TileMill and iD. A style editor/rendering IDE and editor
respectively, each with very active development. Neither uses MapCSS,
and TileMill uses a kind of competitor, Carto. Also, Potlatch 2 which
does use MapCSS (and drove its early development?) is apparently in
decline, so it's unlikely anyone there is going to be contributing
much to the MapCSS discussion.

I'd say that's where your problem is.

I'm not sure how/why Carto and MapCSS differ, or whether they could be
made more similar, but I think it's fair to say that with the awesome
usability of TileMill, and the success of MapBox, that Carto will
become the dominant OSM styling language, if it isn't already.

Steve