[Mapcss] Development of MapCSS?

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sat Mar 9 14:24:58 UTC 2013

Am 09.03.2013 11:56, schrieb Tom Davie:
> On 9 Mar 2013, at 10:39, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had some thoughts lately about how to improve MapCSS.
>>
>> First I quickly compared the MapCSS specification with the JOSM
>> implementation. JOSM implements a lot more than specified and many of
>> them are really useful. Namely:
>> * all the "symbol-" properties
>> * text-anchor-....
>> * dashes-....
>> * The suffix casing applies to more keys than in MapCSS. Furthermore
>> JOSM supports also left-casing-... and right-casing-...
>> * text-halo-opacity
>> * A lot more built-in functions for eval. See below for further
>> comments on this.
>> Most of them I have already used.
> Agreed, most of these are really god, the only tricky one is left-casing and right-casing, which is hard to implement for many.
Hard to implement, but really useful for a lot of use cases.
Therefore probably we should think about a left/right-module that
defines properties like this and is "optional", like it's done with CSS3
modules in parts now.
"Hard to implement" is not a good argument to omit the feature in the
standardization process, but in contrary n argument to at least define
it there to not create divers implementations with different mapcss
syntax across different editors/renderers etc.

regards
Peter