[MapRoulette] [OSM-talk] Detrimental to the OSM database (was: Ways needing smoothing back on track)

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Aug 23 00:16:42 UTC 2014

Hello All

Please include all replies to OM-Talk:

I was meaning to start a separate thread on this subject, but this seems
the appropriate time & place.

This website, along with http://osmlab.github.io/to-fix/ ( & maybe
others) are encouraging errors to be introduced to the OSM database.

For obvious reasons there's a discouragement of armchair mapping. These
sites take it another step into inaccuracy by asking you to randomly
correct a supposed error ( & I /really/ want to emphasise 'supposed')
that the user can have no factual knowledge of whether the error is true
or not.

I live in the UK. How can I possibly know if there's genuinely a "sharp
angle" in Arizona or there's something less than 2 metres away from
another object that should be connected in Cambodia?

IMO these websites are detrimental to the OSM database & should be
rescinded.

Dave F.

On 22/08/2014 22:25, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Hi all - just wanted to let you know that the ‘Ways Needing Smoothing’
> MapRoulette challenge is finally being updated again. It used to
> consist of mostly false positives for the past week, and there still
> are some, but there should be some fun to be had there still :)
>
> http://maproulette.org/#t=waysneedingsmoothing/
>
> It’s still U.S. only :( but we’re getting closer to being able to
> doing it for other countries as well.
> --
> Martijn van Exel

---