[Merkaartor] Locale handling and version cleanup

Dirk Stoecker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Tue Apr 15 09:01:36 BST 2008

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, bvh wrote:

>> KDE uses gettext, so in this case it is not helpful. qgis uses QT
>> translation and cmake. Thought I did not yet make any CMake stuff.
>
> Let me summary the needs
> A needs to work on unix, windows and preferably mac also
> B needs to be used by other (major) projects
> C needs to be able to integrate Qt easily
>  1 moc calls (on headers)
>  2 uic calls (on interface files)
>  3 qrc calls (on resource files)
>  4 ts calls  (on translation files)
> D needs to be able to detect libxml
> E needs to be able to detect webkit
> F needs to be easy to handle for packagers on major distributions
> G I need to not hate it
>
> I think for cmake A/B/C1-3/D are easily possible by copying work from
> KDE. E is something we will have to do ourselves. About F I have no
> idea, but then since KDE is packaged by all major distributions it
> should at least be possible and probably get better over time?

F: Yes for cmake. Better than qmake.
E: should be in KDE also. But I don't know if copying from KDE is possible
    at all. They have really complex scripts :-) There are other smaller
    projects.

> Has anyone here actually ever made a CMake buildscript? The other
> alternative is Autotools but in my opinion they disqualify for point
> A, C and G.

For me the choices would be only to stay with qmake or switch to cmake.
Nowadays autotools should not be used anymore, but cmake instead.

I looked at the cmake way and it seems much more straightforward than
autotools, but till now I had no reason to actually dig into it any
deeper. Thought merkaartor is not yet very complicated in build, so maybe
it is the right time to switch.

Ciao