[Merkaartor] Some Feature Requests

André Reichelt andre-r at online.de
Wed Aug 20 23:50:14 BST 2008

Hello, I'm new here and I want to say hello to you. I'm from Germany and
my english is not that good so please ignore the grammar and misspelling
as long as it isn't too bad ;). Thank you!

Firstly I would say thank you to all of the coders who worked on
Merkaartor. I keep an eye on Merkaartor for a few months now and I like
the project. Yesterday (Ok, the day before, it's 00:23 now) I've
downloaded the new version and tried it. It's a great software, but I've
found two or three points, that I don't like on it.

My first point are the shortcuts. Why ctrl+m? I have to stretch my whole
hand to hit this combination. My advice is to build in a switch to
change the keyboard-controls as far as possible to the JOSM style. Is
this possible?

The second thing is the width of the streets. If i want to redraw the
Yahoo Aerial Photos, I have problems to find the right way, because the
Autobahn is 15 or 20 pixels width. Here's my advice to build in a small
button wich allows to scale down the widt of the lines instantly and set
it back to the original size. It should be like a wireframe mode, but
not wireframes but only thinner lines.

There's an other point: If you set it to load the Yahoo pictures in the
background, it needs eternities to load all tiles. If you zoom in or
out, the background switches to white again and it loads everything new.
  Would you mind to add a feature wich scales the pictures and overwrite
it then? A blurred image is even better as no image.

It's a similar problem if you zoom in too strong. If you do this, the
tiles will be seperated and there are big white clearances between them.
It would be better, if the tiles will be zoomed.

Thanks for reading and again sorry for this bad english.

Good night,
André