[Merkaartor] [OpenStreetMap] #1119: Ability to specify icon size in a style

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Thu Aug 21 07:40:19 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:58:47PM +0200, Chris Browet wrote:
> IMHO, we should use the same "fixed+proportional" paradigm as for roads.
> It is as ugly to have a 16x16 (or whatever fixed size) icon the size of a
> node at high zoom as having the same icon the size of building at low ;-)
>
> What do you think?

I like it. Creating styles is difficult enough, so I am sure the stylers
will be able to wrap their heads around this additional complexity :)

My suggestion :

Fixed size specified in pixels. This sets the minimum.
Real length on the ground when drawing the icon. This sets the
proportional size.

For example, for a mcdonalds you could set Fixed = 4x4 and
Proportional=30mx30m. Since you can reasonably assume a macdonalds to
have that kind of a floorspace in reality on the ground there is nothing
goin to interfere with that icon.

A GSM antenna would then for example be Fixed = 4x4
and Proportional=5x5m.

While we are on styles : urban areas are generally much more crowded on
the map and sometimes our styles are 'too heavy'. On the other hand we
have 'outdoor' areas where our styles are 'too light'. This is obvious
because the style needs to bring an acceptable middle ground. I am
thinking about a quick access slider that acts as a multiplier on all
style size values. In an urban area the user will slide too the left
instantly making everything a bit thinner while in the countryside she
goes the other way. Would that seem helpfull?

And (can you see I just got into mapping/using merkaartor again after
losing my GPS unit and recently getting a new one?) my last idea :
drawing big areas is nerving and timeconsuming, but often those areas
are already bordered by existing roads. So you need to reuse the nodes
making the process ever more cumbersome.
I want the create areas function enhanced so that if I select a way
it will attach the nodes of this complete way to the existing area. The
effect being that to create and area that is bordered by already
existing elements becomes very easy.

Another thing where we are lacking is in easy relation support. True,
OSM as a project is also slow in picking up uses for it, but we can
maybe help push the envelope here.

Btw. given my mistakes with the last release resulting in delays and
what not, shall we aim for a shorter cycle this time? For example
somewhere in september. And if so, shall we carry our own Webkit one
more time?

cu bart