[Merkaartor] Splitting a road and other problems

Daniel Hermann hermann+merkaartor at tfp.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 29 10:54:16 GMT 2008

Hi Yves,

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 09:01:16PM +0100, Yves Goergen wrote:

> So how's this supposed to work? Should I select a node and call
> "Road,Split"? This has worked before but the command is disabled in this
> more complex situation. Is it a known bug or didn't anyone notice it yet?

Did you select both the way to split and the node? That works fine for
me, though in the SVN version.

> Also, how can I remove a single node from a way without removing the
> node itself? I.e. making that the node is no longer part of a way. When
> you move nodes around and drop them on a way, you cannot move them away
> from there again without dragging the entire way along.

I would be interested in that feature, too.

> Another problem I had was to select a single photo on the track. When I
> loaded the photo files, I was asked to select a layer to add them to. I
> selected my GPX track, as it was obvious and there was no further
> indication what to do. The photos then appeared as small rectangles on
> the track. I could select a photo by clicking on it - but with a GPS log
> interval of 1 second and walking on foot I have very dense GPS points
> and it often occured that selecting a photo was not possible at maximum
> zoom level. Sometimes, the photo could be selected and displayed by
> clicking several times around the icon. It's very hard to impossible to
> work with photos in Merkaartor this way.

I worked around such problems by reducing the track using gpsbabel
before loading it into Merkaartor:

$ gpsbabel -i gpx -f yourtrack.gpx -x simplify,count=500 -o gpx -F reduced.gpx

Then, depending on the "count" argument, you get some space between
the individual GPS trackpoints.

> Yet another annoyance was that moving a node of a road near the GPX
> track would snap it to a single GPX point if I came it too near. But
> often the single GPX points are a bit off and I want to smoothen the
> way. That's not so easy with the GPX layer visible. But with the layer
> hidden, I'm walking in the "dark" with my nodes and ways. Even worse is
> that when creating a new road, clicking on a GPX point, its name is
> added to the way node by default. This name is like "TP12345". I need to
> remove all those names again because the entire way is going to be named
> like a street, not single nodes like garbage.

The above reduction of GPS trackpoints also helps (a bit) with the
problem that GPS trackpoints are magnetic. IMHO they shouldn't, but I
faintly remember that there was already a thread on this list about
this topic.

cheers,

Daniel