[Merkaartor] Splitting a road and other problems

Daniel Hermann hermann+merkaartor at tfp.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Dec 29 16:17:31 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 03:49:53PM +0100, Yves Goergen wrote:
> I seem to have a problem with this mailing list. Only every second
> message arrives here. My own original mail and the one I'm replying to
> did not come over the list. Are there any known problems with it?

That was probably me erroneously replying to your address only and not to
the list. I resent the message afterwards to the list, so you may have
received my message twice. Sorry for that.

> Yes, the probability to run across a GPS point decreases, but it's no
> reliable solution, and worse, the GPS track precision is also decreased.
> And often I make a small stop to take a photo, so at the very location
> where a photo is shot, there will still be more GPS points.

gpsbabel simplifies the tracks so that it leaves out points that lie
in a straight line or very close to each other. I didn't find any
decrease of precision significant for the actual mapping. Points
dropped by gpsbabel were lying on the track line between two
neighbouring points. The stroke of both paths (before and after
reduction) was basically the same. As an example, when walking along
tracks in the forest, I reduced tracks with 8000 trackpoints to 1000
trackpoints, which was perfectly enough to draw all ways.

> Actually, I don't even need to see GPS points. The track line would be
> enough. But I can only hide points for all layers, so I also lose the
> map, way and road points I'm supposed to work on...

In addition to the "visible" flag, layers could have an "active" flag,
indicating whether they are responsive for any interaction (snap to
points, move). For instance, it would also be helpful if the
"download" layer were "inactive", so that one can draw buildings
between the streets without always taking care not to snap to any
street nearby.

cheers,

Daniel