[Merkaartor] Downloading OSM-data in several parts

Timo Schlüßler timo at schluessler.org
Fri Jun 13 15:41:44 BST 2008

Hello,

I think you didn't get my first emails about this subject so I send it
here again.

When zooming is at an low level and you want to download OSM-data there
comes this very serious error with the hint that zooming in could help.
So downloading large areas at once is not possible.
To fix this I changed the code to let merkaartor automatically download
the data in several parts/tiles. Through this you can download areas as
large as you want to without that error, but it needs a lot of time.

Please tell me if you think this is a good thing and maybe someone can
apply the patch to the svn-repos.

You can vary the size of the parts with the #define directive for MAXLON
and MAXLAT. The highest possible value is 0.25° (taken from the api
documentation on wiki.openstreetmap.org). Currently I set the values to
0.0005 Rad for better testing and faster results (a 0.25° part needs
some time). You may also want to try #define DEBUG_TILES.

thx in advance,
timo