[Merkaartor] [#788] Download more map data when moving map outside downloaded area

Chris Browet cbro at semperpax.com
Thu Mar 27 09:38:59 GMT 2008

Ok, guys, I get it now...

I thought you were talking about the background map layer, not the actual
OSM data!

The "automatic" do not seem adequate. As we are an off-line editor,
downloading data is not instant, so it could confuse users. I guess Podlatch
has instant access to data.

I could make it configurable and sees where it gets us though, but I think
it would more a hinder than a useful feature (because, while data is
downloading, the user will be basically stuck)

Anyway, what about the following process when the view is scrolled (whether
by shortcut or automatically)
- If there are modifications, propose to upload
- delete the current download layer
- download the current view

That would avoid merge/conflicts and multiple layers problem.

However, if you see a reason why the user wouldn't want to immediately
upload its changes...

- Chris -