[Merkaartor] Templatized tagging committed

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 22:48:43 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 17:27:14 you wrote:
> No need to fork. The "dev team" was 80% me lately, and I didn't have time
> to both develop and assist, although I did my best.

 My mail was meant as a private conversation with Dirk, it was not meant for
the list, he must have thought I had made a mistake when replying, so please
read it in that light. I do *not* intend to fork, at most I'd maintain a
branch, which I already do for personal use and for friends who ask (which
contains preferences, not any amount of code).

> As there seem to be a general discontentment about the way I did things, I
> will stand down (not that I feel I was especially high, just lonely), so
> there is plenty of room for other people like you to be more active in the
> project and lead it in another (proper?) way.
 One thing that was missing in that mail, is that I think the development that
is going on in merkaartor is excellent, I started using it at version 0.11
and in this short time there have been plenty of improvements. In my opinion
merkaartor is already superior to JOSM (maybe not for GPS? I don't know since
I don't own one.).
 I guess we just have to work together to drive away the bad first impression.
The more information, the better. One thing that would help would be to
announce what is being worked on, so that we don't find once it's done and
avoid duplication of effort (specially when there isn't manpower to spare!).
Two items I've been looking into, but not programmed (I'm finishing a few
other projects atm), are better focus management, which would allow for
better shortcuts, and curved lines, specifically Catmull-Rom splines with the
tangents modified to maintain monotonicity, which would look great (this
would of course also be great in renderers, I've had some minor conversations
about it on #mapnik ).