[Merkaartor] Templatized tagging committed

Dirk Stöcker openstreetmap at dstoecker.de
Wed Nov 5 08:15:51 GMT 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Matias D'Ambrosio wrote:

>> No need to fork. The "dev team" was 80% me lately, and I didn't have time
>> to both develop and assist, although I did my best.
>>
> My mail was meant as a private conversation with Dirk, it was not meant for
> the list, he must have thought I had made a mistake when replying, so please

I get so many mails and participate in so many mailinglists, that I have
automatically filtering. You did not change anything relevant so the mail
got handled as normal merkaartor list mail. Sorry :-) I adapted the filter
a bit, so hopefully that will not happen again.

> read it in that light. I do *not* intend to fork, at most I'd maintain a
> branch, which I already do for personal use and for friends who ask (which
> contains preferences, not any amount of code).

BTW: As Chris already said - help developing merkaartor directly. It's a
fine piece of software and good quality is reached when people work
together. And at least for me certain conflicts are normal. I had
discussions much worser than this one in the past for other projects. It
can't be me who improves merkaartor because I have lots of other things to
do and as said I mainly watch merkaartor development, but do little active
involment. So I can only try to influence development to go into right
direction.

Merkaartor has developed nicely in the last year and it's going mostly in
the right direction. It is not superior to JOSM yet as you state, there are
still left many problems under the hood which have to be fixed before you
can say so (especially if you look at complicated data structures in the
database :-). Too often "created_by=merkaartor ..." is written in data
structures which JOSM validator finds as problems. But merkaartor will
mature hopefully and become better in these areas as well.

Ciao