[Merkaartor] Templatized tagging committed

Matias D'Ambrosio angasule at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 20:16:00 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 06:15:51 Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Matias D'Ambrosio wrote:
> > My mail was meant as a private conversation with Dirk, it was not meant
> > for the list, he must have thought I had made a mistake when replying, so
> > please
>
> I get so many mails and participate in so many mailinglists, that I have
> automatically filtering. You did not change anything relevant so the mail
> got handled as normal merkaartor list mail. Sorry :-) I adapted the filter
> a bit, so hopefully that will not happen again.
 No problem :-) These things happen.

> > read it in that light. I do *not* intend to fork, at most I'd maintain a
> > branch, which I already do for personal use and for friends who ask
> > (which contains preferences, not any amount of code).
>
> BTW: As Chris already said - help developing merkaartor directly. It's a
> fine piece of software and good quality is reached when people work
> together. And at least for me certain conflicts are normal. I had
> discussions much worser than this one in the past for other projects. It
> can't be me who improves merkaartor because I have lots of other things to
> do and as said I mainly watch merkaartor development, but do little active
> involment. So I can only try to influence development to go into right
> direction.
 The 'branch' I keep is stuff I've already sent or suggested, and I plan to
keep it that way, I try to publish everything that I do, one man's garbage is
another man's fortune (which I have sadly seen first hand...).

> Merkaartor has developed nicely in the last year and it's going mostly in
> the right direction. It is not superior to JOSM yet as you state, there are
> still left many problems under the hood which have to be fixed before you
> can say so (especially if you look at complicated data structures in the
> database :-). Too often "created_by=merkaartor ..." is written in data
> structures which JOSM validator finds as problems. But merkaartor will
> mature hopefully and become better in these areas as well.
 I wouldn't know about that :-) My experience with merkaartor is mostly with
the UI, and that's the only thing I know about JOSM (never even got the
source code for it).