[Merkaartor] Templatized tagging committed

bvh bvh-osm at irule.be
Mon Nov 10 12:29:46 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 02:28:04PM +0100, Dirk Stöcker wrote:
> I would suggest
>
> <optional>
> </optional>
>
> Thus they can be handled correctly and the editor can choose the text
> itself and if they are displayed at all or not.

Right, that would be more XML-like. On the other hand, if we have the
set idea, maybe we wouldn' t need this kind of grouping?

> > 	<item name="Place of worship">
> > 	<combo key="religion" (list all religions).../>
> > 	</item>
> >
> > 	<item name="Christian church">
> > 	<selector type="[religion] is christian"/>
> > 	<combo key="religion" (list all religions).../>
> > 	<combo key="denomination" ... (only christian denoms) />
> > 	</item>
> >
> > 	<item name="Muslim mosque">
> > 	<selector type="[religion] is muslim"/>
> > 	<combo key="religion" (list all religions).../>
> > 	<combo key="denomination" ... (only Islamic denoms) />
> > 	</item>
>
> Anyway I would adapt your method here:
>
> What about that:
> a) make the <selector type="[religion] is muslim"/>
>     a property of the tags:
>     <item name="Muslim mosque" condition="[religion] is muslim">
>     And also allow that for condition for other elements:
>
>    <item name="Place of worship">
>       <choice key="religion">
>         <element value="christian">
>         <element value="muslim">
>       </choice>
>       <choice key="denomination">
>         <element condition="[religion] is muslim" value="shia">
>         <element condition="[religion] is christian" value="protestant">
>       </choice>
>    </item>
>
> This is a bit harder to analyze, but has much more flexibility.

But how would that work for religions that have no denominations?
Or if the variant part includes something else than a combobox? Let's
say a tag 'mass time'  that is just a simple free-form text but only
should appear for christian faith?

> But as said, I'm not yet happy with the "[religion] is muslim" style and
> need to see if that is a good standard (I know it is used in merkaartor
> already :-)

I am sure there are things to improve about it. It was created rather
ad-hoc when I needed a way to specify map rendering rules and primarily
designed to be easy to implement a parser for. Would be more than happy
to hear what you propose.

cu bart