[Merkaartor] A few interface notes

Boris Cornet BorisC at EUnet.at
Thu Oct 2 21:26:14 BST 2008

Dear Chris!

Today (Thursday, October 2, 2008) at 13:09 you wrote:
>> Talking of UI-editors: It would be great to have editable tag presets,
>> since obviously tagging styles are *very* regional.
>> By presets I mean things like "residential + bike lanes", "foot &
>> bikeway", "muddy track" (--> highway=track, tracktype=grade4) etc.

> That's on my mind for ages, but I still am not sure on the proper
> way to implement that. Templates, Wizard, ...

Well, first of all one would have to set up a specification for the
XML definition file. This takes away the need to implement an editor
right away, since advanced users would be able to hand code the
definitions and spread them. And I bet that sooner or later some
program would appear to build these files comfortably.

The rest is fairly simple: an extra menu or a dropdown in the
properties dock that fills in the keys. Having a well formed XML file,
it would be no big deal to handle the data.
A cool extra feature would be if the presets would present custom
textfields/dropdowns instead of type/landuse/direction in the
properties dock.

Unfortunately I cannot help here, since I am a bloody rookie at C,
however I could actually write a definition file designer in VB6
(windoze only, sorry) ;-)

--
So long,
   Boris   <BorisC at EUnet.at>