[Merkaartor] Question about "Your GPS traces"

Daniel van Gerpen dvg at jccnet.de
Fri Oct 10 22:56:04 BST 2008

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:52:47 +0200
"Chris Browet" <cbro at semperpax.com> wrote:

Hi,

> Merkaartor cannot be used to upload GPS traces (GPX).

But that is just because it is not implemented yet, or was it a concious decision
to leave it out? I could imagine, it might be nice if one could upload them to the
server directly from merkaartor.

My current workflow is:

	1. Download tracks from logger with separate tool
	2. Load them, edit, tag and upload ways

I basically never upload tracks anymore, after I stopped using potlatch. This
is partly due to privacy considerations, but maybe also because I'm just too
lazy to take the extra step :-)

Speaking of gps traces. I'm not completely happy with the (my) recent addtion of
segmenting raw tracks if two subsequent nodes in the track are further apart
than a certain distance.

I mainly wanted to fix the raw track download from the server (lots of ugly
connection from the bounding box rectangle) and didn't notice at first that
this also affects the usual track import/open. If you import a track where
the gps logger tried to be smart and removed the points inbetween on a
long straight road you end up with quite a split track. This might look
strange to new users.

They have to figure out the option in the preferences to disable that. And
by doing that they also loose the benefit of clearer raw tracks from the
server.

Do we want to keep it that way?

Regards,
Daniel